Club Escape Appeal
February 9, 2011
Welcome to the new site!
February 9, 2012

COLUMBUS FIRE DEPARTMENT SAFETY

 

Fire Chief Gregory A. Paxton announced the following tips for fire safety today. These tips are excellent for use at all times but of increased importance with the impending storm.

  • Use flashlights during power outages instead of candles. Keep plenty of fresh batteries on hand at all times. If candles are used, consider flameless battery operated candles that offer the flickering light without the potential fire hazard.
  • If using candles, make sure they are placed on a stable piece of furniture in sturdy holders that will not tip over. Candles should fit in the holders securely and the holders should be made of material that will not burn.
  • Keep candles away from anything combustible, such as; clothing, books, papers, curtains, decorations or anything else that can burn.
  • Do not place candles where they can be knocked over by children or pets.
  • Always extinguish all candles when leaving the room or before going to sleep.
  • Never use candles, matches or lighters if medical oxygen therapy is used in the home.
  • If you are depending on portable generators for electricity during power outages, use extreme caution when refueling. Fuel splashed on a hot muffler could ignite, causing severe burns and serious injuries.
  • Never attempt to refuel a generator while it is running. Always allow the unit to cool before attempting to refuel.
  • Operate generators outside of the home and outside of garages. Carbon monoxide gas produced by operating generators is poisonous and can quickly cause severe injury or death.
  • Ensure placement of the generator does not allow carbon monoxide to enter the home through windows, doors or other openings.
  • If you encounter downed power lines stay clear of them and dial 911. If in your car and power lines come down onto the car stay put and dial 911.
  • Make sure your home is equipped with working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. These early notification devices are some of the most effective fire and life safety tools for preventing injury or death from fire and carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Have a safe alternative way to heat your home in case of a power failure. Never use a gas oven for a heater. If you do not have a way to keep your home warm enough, go to the home of a friend or relative, or check into a shelter until the power goes back on.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *